Thursday, December 31, 2009

December Happenings

This is my post for the month of December except for Christmas. It started out GREAT! David Archuleta came to BYU-Idaho to perform, and we were so excited to be able to see him in concert. Allen, Tyler and I went and watched him perform...yes...we are cheesey that way - but we were very excited.
On the 9th was my mom's birthday. I am posting a picture of the cake because my dad had brought the cake and had that number written on it. It is a special thing between them. Anyway, at one point or another, all of my children kept asking "Grandma, are you really 381 years old??" Ha ha, it was just so funny. Poor mom - no winning in that situation.
(He really is happy here. He loves making faces and noises!)
Of course, we put up our Christmas tree. This is the first year ever that it took so long to put it up. We didn't get it up until the 8th - which for us is sad. It is usually up the week of Thanksgiving. We weren't too excited about Braden being around the tree, and more importantly all of the plugs. He loves plugs and cords. Luckily, it was low enough to the ground that it kept him away. He hated the feel of the tree on his head. All the kids enjoyed it. It is a fun time to deal with all of those wonderful lights that don't always work, and trying to figure out which branch goes where.
For family home evening before Christmas, we put together gingerbread houses. I din't realize they were so messy and so much work. We didn't have a mixer to mix the glue - I mean frosting. Then I was really dumb and I forgot to get a picture of the finished project. What's up with that? At least the kids had a wonderful time - as evident in the pictures.
School was out on the 18th and the kids were so happy. McKenna and Kylie also participate in the afterschool program, and one of the classes that Kylie signed up for was the princess class. Each Thursday they made different things. The crowns, necklaces, sashes, etc. Then they had a tea party. This is Kylie's stuff that she made. She was so proud of it and so sad that that class had to end.
Of course the final event before Christmas Eve and Christmas, was Allen's Birthday. I should dedicate a post just for that. But since I didn't, Allen turned the BIG 40 this year. We of course kept it simple and small and stayed at home and had carrot cake. But I hope you can indulge me for a minute while I tell you how much we love Allen. He is such a great dad and husband and of course my best friend. He is everything I am not which is why we probably work so well together. For the most part he is so easy going and the kids love to play with him. He is always willing to build and rough house with them all. And we can't forget what a hard worker he is. Never having a problem to jump in and do something that needs to be done. Anyway, we love him and hope the next 40 are just as great!

1 comments:

Erin said...

I was noticing how much older and more grown up both Tyler and Braden look! Sounds like a great Christmas.